Internal parasites are small organisms that may live in the stomach, intestines and other internal organs of your pet. Even though they may not be easily seen, they may pose a threat to the health of your pet and your family. 1 in 8 family pets have parasites, many of which can infect and transmit diseases to people.
Signs of parasites:
- Thin, losing weight
- Dull hair coat
- Overall poor appearance
- Change in appetite
- Distended abdomen or pot-bellied appearance
- Black stool
- Diarrhea – sometimes with blood and/or mucus
- Dragging their behing on the ground
- Worms in the feces or vomit
Your pet is at risk if they:
- Frequent parks, sandboxes and other areas that animals contaminate with their waste.
- Eats contaminated foods containing infective stages of the parasites.
- Catch and eat small rodents
- Has had contact with the domestic or wildlife habitat where parasites are found.
- Has had contact with another infected pet, its fur, bedding or a contaminated environment.
- Has or has had fleas or lice.
Puppies and kittens can acquire intestinal parasites from their mother before they are born or through their mother’s milk.
Deworming administered at 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks of age and monthly up to 6 months of age.
It is usually recommended to deworm you adult pets one to four times a year.