Belmont Veterinary Services
Serving Belmont, Aylmer, Dorchester, Nilestown, London and all the surrounding areas!

Poison Awareness: Grapes/Raisins

Grapes, raisins, and even currants (some currants are actually small, black grapes) are toxic to your dog! In fact, there have been anecdotal reports of cats and ferrets being affected by these also. Ingestion of even a small amount of grapes, raisins, or currants can result in severe, acute kidney failure. All types of grape- or raisin-containing products (including grape juice, trail mix, bagels, etc.) can result in this. Even organic, pesticide-free, grapes grown in home gardens can result in toxicity. Although the mechanism of action is not clearly understood on how grapes, raisins and currants are poisonous at this time, this common fruit can result in anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially severe acute renal failure (which develops several days later). The toxicity is not necessarily dose-dependent, and symptoms can occur with even small ingestions. Decontamination (e.g., inducing vomiting, decontaminating with activated charcoal, etc.), aggressive supportive care, aggressive IV fluid therapy, and kidney function (e.g., BUN/creatinine) monitoring is recommended.

GrapesPoisonous to: Dogs
Level of toxicity: Generally moderate to severe
Common signs to watch for:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abnormal drinking or urination
  • Lethargy
  • Inappetance
  • Halitosis
  • Dehydration

Information courtesy of the Pet Poison Helpline.

Post a Comment

Go BackRefreshGo ForwardHomeLog in
Powered by WordPressBeaver Creek Animal HospitalWest Lorne Animal Hospital • Designed by Autumn Sky Designs