Do you think your pets may be stressed? Even if you don’t, take the pet stress test and find out.
Even changes that you consider good (such as moving to a new house or bringing home your newborn) can be a major source of stress for your pet, who needs a consistent routine and predictable environment to feel relaxed and secure. Your pet isn’t “misbehaving” out of spite. It’s just their way of coping with the stress brought on by new people, places and/or events.
Signs of stress include:
- Destructive behaviour is a common way pets express themselves. Your pet may be bored when you’re not at home. They may also be anxious when left alone, and may be suffering from separation anxiety.
- If your pet has been barking, whining, howling or meowing excessively lately, it’s a sign that something is bothering them. Before you attempt to correct this behaviour it’s important to try to figure out what triggers your pet’s excessive vocalization.
- Inappropriate elimination tops most people’s list of frustrating pet behaviours. It is also one of the most common signs of stress in pets — as well as a symptom of certain physical conditions (which should first be ruled out by the veterinarian).
- Avoidance and hiding are signs of stress and fear, as is excessive “clinginess,” which can be an indication of separation anxiety.
- Unusual behaviour is a sign something is not right with your pet. They are counting on you to sense changes in their mood, habits and/or behaviour, and to help them find ways to cope with stress.
Visit us at the clinic to see how products like Zylkène®, Calm food, Adaptil (dogs)/Feliway (cats), and ThunderShirts can help!
Zylkène® is a milk-derived protein that is clinically proven to have calming benefits. It reduces the signs of stress without any know side effects.
Calm (canine/feline) food is formulated to support dogs and cats in situations associated with stress and anxiety via a hydrolyzed milk protein (similar to Zylkène®) and tryptophan content to help maintain your pet’s emotional balance.
Adaptil is a pheromone that is released by the mother to support bonding and to comfort and reassure her puppies. This “support” gives puppies enough confidence to explore and learn about the world around them. Adaptil is a synthetic copy of this canine appeasing pheromone and is proven to help adult dogs cope in challenging and worrying situations. Adaptil comes in 3 different formulations, a diffuser (similar to room freshener plug-ins), a spray and a collar. Adaptil can be used to help with anxiety associated with loud noises, travel, socialization, training and vocalization.
Feliway is a synthetic copy of the facial pheromone proven to reassure and comfort the cat. When cats feel safe and secure, it rubs its head against objects in the local environment, leaving behind substances called facial pheromones. These provide emotional support and help alleviate stress. The absence of these pamiliar marks is believed to lead to an increase in anxiety. Feliway can be used in multi-cat homes, new environments, for urine marking, travel and inappropriate scratching.
ThunderShirt uses gentle hugging to calm your dog or cat. With its patented design, ThunderShirt’s gentle, constant pressure has a dramatic calming effect for most dogs and cats if they are anxious, fearful or overexcited. Based on surveys completed by over two thousand customers, over 80% of dogs and cats show significant improvement in symptoms when using ThunderShirt. Experts believe that pressure has a calming effect on the nervous system, possibly by releasing a calming hormone like endorphins. Using pressure to relieve anxiety in people and animals has been a common practice for years.
Come in and see how we can help you with your stressed pets!